July 8, 2008

Aitutaki!!

This is, without hyperbole, one of the most spectacular places on the planet. Rated by some as one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The watercolour is just indescribable – ranging from gin-clear to shades of turquoise, to the deepest beautiful dark blues. It’s a HUGE (45km across) tropical atoll/lagoon, dotted with about 15 islands, and incredibly has not been decimated by tourism (but of course their everywhere). About a 40min flight North from Rarotonga, I last minute tagged this trip on for some leave. Flyfishing here rates as one of the highlights of my life. Ill keep the description short, will update the guys on it in detail (email me)! I went out with a guide Butch Leone, who lives there. What a legend – he moved here from the US ten odd years ago, and a surfing and flyfish nut. First day, Butch was really disappointed – but I had caught more fish than in my entire saltwater flyfishing career. 2nd day fished on my own, “only” caught 2 (small) kings and lost a couple, but a great day out. Sat on a deserted tropical island having a lunch of baked beans (you can wade the flats between some islands). Next day, fished with Butch again, lost a nice king – bastards are really dirty fighters; which is why we love them. Well, in the late afternoon I hooked into that bone (fishing of a skiff, while getting poled along by Butch, sightfishing for kings and bonefish – which incidentally, is possibly the most fun you can have with your pants on, hell, probably with them off!!). Well after a 30min fight, and having him run me about 6-7 times into the backing, I got him. Quick pics (thanks for the pics Butch!) and of course a release. Butch was more happy then me – wants me to post him the pic in a frame to hang in the local bar! What a day…

No comments: